Friday 18 May 2012

Finished Robe!




I have mixed feelings about this robe; though I am very proud that we managed to recreate this robe independently with hardly any assistance I feel that some of the finishes could have been better.

We have been in the studio a lot to make sure the robe was finished as soon as possible however we kept on running across problems we hadn’t planned for and so we had to unpick a lot of seams. This put us behind schedule and though we worked very hard the finishing touches were left until too late. There was a lot of hand stitching to do at the end and because of time restraints quality lagged. I know that if I had had the time these hand stitched seams would have been strong and neat.

I am really pleased with how the pleats turned out and the fabric works really well to optimise the quality of the silk. I was pleased with the pattern cutting and how we overcame problems. The fur and the velvet looked really good I thought and I am proud that we managed to get on top of a very complicated sleeve.
Putting the sleeve into the armhole was a nightmare. There is a point where the wing meets the curve of the sleeve and we couldn’t get these points on our two sleeves to match which is a shame. I don’t think this is noticeable when the sleeve is on but I know it’s there.  

I think that with time however I will be able to step back from the robe and be pleased with what we have achieved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment